lunes, 17 de noviembre de 2008

Choices are in your hands.


I think that Willy Russell chose to end the play with Rita cutting Frank's hair for different reasons: first, as a way of showing that she wanted to acknowledge somehow all he has done for her; secondly, because she wants to help Frank to built his new self Haven't you ever change your hair style in order to change your mood? It is one of the most common ways of starting a change in our lives finally, because this is a very good way of showing us that the new educated Rita still keeps her essence and doesn't forget about her past: she has changed immensely but, at the same time, her cutting Frank's hair shows that she is still the hairdresser who was eager to learn and who is still eager to learn. Both Rita and Frank are still ready and waiting for learning.


What I want to add is in this scene we can perceived the word CHOICE . I think she had different choices since the moment she decided to start studying and as she said, she chose "her".But what Trish'attempted suicide taught is that she can chose how to live and thanks Frank because thanks to his help she had a choice.

To say goodbye, somebody who is "better educated" would be somebody who has accquired tools or strategies to make their own choices more autonomously, or has widened their range of choices, or can see themselves as better able to take wiser choices

4 comentarios:

Pame dijo...

Hi Marucha,

I like the idea of having my hair cut in order to change my mood. You feel different even when you're the same person.

I think something similar occured to Rita, when she wanted to be or pretend to be somebody different; speak in a different way; drink a different wine; a different song etc.

What do you think?

XXX,

=Pame

Marucha dijo...

Hi Pame,
I agree with you, she seems to change in some aspects as you said but as I told Romi I think Rita hasn't exactly changed but she is just 'acting' as if she had changed, I mean, she wants to show that having been to Summer School has influenced her not only in her wanting to dress up,the way she speaks but also in her wanting to be called 'the new educated Rita.
how authentic is
Rita's "renovation"?
Kisses
Marucha

Adri Ambrosio dijo...

Hi! ^^
I agree with what you wrote. Rita has made her choices and now it's time for Frank to make his choices and change his way of living, to improve. I think that Rita is trying to encurage that change in Frank when she cuts his hair, she wants to give him a hand, perhaps a little push, as he helped her when she needed a change in her life. As Rita said, the change can't be superficial, it has to come from the inside. However, a new dress, or a haircut can help us start that change.

Gladys Baya dijo...

How nice to have the chance to join this conversation among 3 of you, Marucha, Pame and Adri!

As you have already pointed out, I think Rita has now come to see haircuts and changes in people's look under a different light. True changes do need to take place "inside us", but a little "push" from the outside won't hurt anyone, right? Now it's time for Frank's choice: will he keep this snowball rolling, or just stop?

Marucha: do you still doubt about the identity of this Rita? Or your reply to Pame refers to the Rita in your previous entry? :-?

Just before I say goodbye myself, let me make a "toast": I hope your time at college (and especially in our course) has been truly educational (following your own definition in the last paragraph of your entry). I wish you plenty of wise choices in your future, and a happy live that helps you feel you've found "what you'd been looking for"!

All the best,
Gladys